04-08-2023, 06:38 PM   #30
veenut28
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2, 6MT

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
  [0.00]
I had the opportunity to test drive a base 992 and a Taycan 4S a couple days ago. I preferred the Taycan. The 992 handles beautifully but it’s grown bigger and consequently has lost that unique feeling of hearing the engine roar behind you that was such a crucial part of the 911 experience. I doubt that the 992S is very different.

The Taycan disguises its weight well at 60mph on a winding back road. I’m sure it’s a different story on track. But it rides much better and would be a nicer DD than the 992, which I felt rode about as harshly as the F87 M2C.

In some ways the 992 (and the G87, I suspect) feels like a car that has been turned into such a digital experience that the engineers wanted it to be basically an EV even though it has an ICE. Just look at the MT gearing issues that are being reported with the G87, which seems to fit better with the auto tranny. The beauty of the F87 was that it incorporated some of the niceties of newer tech while still retaining that analog feel that has all but disappeared in newer cars, even those that are supposedly geared towards enthusiasts.

Ultimately I think I’ll continue to enjoy my M2C for a while and then have it become my weekend car (with maybe a 997 in the garage as well) and have the Taycan as a daily. At least the digital feel makes sense in an EV.
Appreciate 0