11-11-2022, 09:50 AM   #25
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rk-d View Post
Yeah, I know it's a hot take.

I had a 992 Carrera S. I like the M2 Competition better.

The Carrera S is a quick car, but it has a very linear throttle and there is a throttle delay which makes it feel a little less responsive. In absolute terms, the M2C actually feels like it has more torque.

Porsches with PDK and Sport chrono have very good 1/4 mile and 0-60 times because of the excellent launch control algorithm that Porsche uses. But on a roll - ie real world driving - or even just aggressively throttling the car from a stop, the car subjectively feels slower than an M2.

Carreras have great steering, handling and precision. That's the Porsche thing, but I think the car really only comes alive in higher trim levels. It's the opposite of the M2 - the Carrera almost feels underpowered for its chassis. Conversely, the 992TTS feels much more alive in that respect.

tl;dr: the M2C is just more fun to drive. I assume the same or more for the M2CS.

992s are also physically big feeling cars. I've gone "backwards" to a 991.2 GT3 Touring and the smaller and more intimate feel of the older car is much more obvious to me now.
I get you.

I almost went from an M2C to a 992, but when I sat in one I was like way too big.

I now have a 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 manual and in terms of fun on the streets, my M2C was definitely more fun in terms of handling (the cayman has such high limits that it just feels less playful), but the cayman's naturally aspirated engine is much more engaging and connected with instant response and a vicscerality to the sound and the manual is better, and for me those factors trump the playful handling.

but if the M2C has one of those classic naturally aspirated Bmw sixes with 350HP ish, I would pick the M2C over the GTS 4.0 as the more fun road car.
Appreciate 0