View Single Post
      10-15-2022, 06:58 PM   #10
Norra Norra
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 330e

I wasn't trying to make this a 330i vs 330e thread but since it was brought up, I really don't see the point of the 330i. From a cost perspective the plug in was only a 1k option in the US, that's insane. Other OEMs charge a 10-15% premium for the plug in model. And if you qualify for the tax incentive it was $4,800 or so less. I'm not exactly sure how the rebates work for 2023 but many will still be eligible. And you get the same engine which can be unlocked with a tune (post warranty of course).

For city use and short trips there is no contest on economy. Even after my recent road trip, 60% of my miles were full EV. My kw/mi cost is about 1/4 expense of burning gas. And they are pretty close on highway consumption. I think the detuned b48 mostly makes up for the added weight of the hybrid system assuming you aren't using the battery charge feature when driving.

Plus there are some extra benefits to plug ins- namely HOV access in some states, reserved parking, often with free charging in many locations. Less wear and tear on the engine components. Oh and you are reducing CO2 emissions.

Are there any downsides? The brake feel is a bit weird. Some extra whirring noise here and there. Slightly smaller trunk. The extra weight is like having two fat friends in the rear seats. But I'm being really picky, it drives very much like a normal 3 series, most people would have no idea. The 330e is a terrific half step towards a full EV.
Appreciate 2
SoCalJon234.50