06-03-2022, 12:41 PM   #9
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you know if they are going to convert the AC an other subsystems to electric so that it runs when the engine is off?

That's one think I like about the MB 48v mild hybrid is they don't have any belts, things like the AC compressor is run off the 48V system so even when engine is off (i.e. at a red light) the AC compressor is still running and you still get cold air). BMW Gen 1 48V mild hybrid still has a built and AC compressor still run off the engine, so when engine is not running, you get warm air blown at you.
my expectation is no, they have not. but it is possible.

I haven't seen anything in the materials that calls out they have converted additional subsystems to 48v. the only potential indicator is a throwaway line that the MH battery can feed electrical power back to other vehicle systems, but that is as much detail as i have read.

BMWs priority is efficiency and if their math shows in the avg start/stop event the AC coils will remain cold enough for the duration I imagine they prefer to reserve that power for reduced fuel on restart and takeoff
Appreciate 0