View Single Post
      04-24-2022, 11:57 AM   #9
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
No thanks, I know the Herc is over engineered but stretched J model no thanks I'd be ok with a early model pre L-100 with newer engines doing that. But that sure looks like it was running out of smash speed at the top of the apex.

Twenty one years of being an LM on C-5A,B and M, I have experienced enough stupid things.
Herc's are tanks. I've seen/done some crazy shit. The wildest rides were Low Level Terrain Following 300 feet off the deck completely blacked out. So much turbulence you'd think it was going to break up. Nope, give me more she says.

We had one in our Squadron that had a catastrophic "sun gear" failure on #3 causing the whole propeller to spin off. It hit #4 on its way out and pushed the entire #4 engine and prop into the leading edge. IFE'd into Maine landing on just the left engines.

I did get a "joy ride" in a Galaxy during an Airshow in Santago Chile. Pretty impressed on what that big SOB can do too.