View Single Post
      03-31-2022, 09:54 AM   #23
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

I have both a comp & OG - both excellent & can't go wrong with either. Both will make excellent daily drivers. Both can also make excellent track cars - but out of the box the comp is definitely more suited towards track time. Not sure if that makes a difference or not to the OP though.

OG - I like the OG as a street car. I enjoy the personality of the N55. It does fall on its face a bit after about 120 or so but for me that is not a concern on the street (is on the track though). Nice being able to run 18" wheels without upgrading brakes as I prefer them over 19". I also prefer the sound over the S55 which yes for me does add to the enjoyment level. Power is decent out of the box and can be added without much concern on the street for the poor cooling setup. As a track car the OG is good but definitely has a ceiling - mainly in heat management.

Comp - excels at both a street car & track use. To me the S55 does not have quite the personality that the N55 has and it definitely needs help to make it sound good. But it overcomes this with power - and the potential to easily add power without compromising cooling too much. The brakes are a bit more fade resistant than the OG but can't run 18's with them. On the track the comp can definitely outperform the OG out of the box & can accept mods to make it stupid quick without suffering heat issues as much as the OG does.

Both - I think they are both similarly comfortable on the street. If you think they are harsh there are options for improvement that work well on both. I was surprised to find that the comp seats were more comfortable than I anticipated. The OG seats are comfortable as well. My OG is a 6MT and the comp DCT. The 6MT is fun but I feel a bit dull from the factory. I better shifter corrects this for me (I prefer CAE). I prefer the DCT over 6MT but that is definitely an individual thing. Most of my M's are DCT - it is a great transmission & I actually enjoy the flappy paddles. Heel/toe also wrecks my wrecked right knee on the track which gets old real fast. But I did race a 6MT a couple of weeks ago and it certainly is fun.

E46 M3 - lovely car. Been driving mine more lately and really, really enjoy it on the street. But yeah definitely might need to be sorted depending on its previous usage.

E9x M3 - do not overlook these. From a pure enjoyment factor these are my favorite. The personality of the S65 is amazing. They are very comfortable and the whole no torque thing is overstated - they are extremely quick when you rev them out. A high revving NA engine is very hard to beat. I feel like the sedan E90 M3 is the best daily driver out there...

TL;DR - both great but in a bit different ways. Also for the dollar I believe the comp is the best daily/track hybrid available if you are looking for outright & sustainable pace and then being able to drive home comfortably.
Appreciate 7
DanG10848.00
///M TOWN22353.50
swampfox941188.00
Davil6601.50