09-08-2021, 02:34 AM   #6
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
One thing to take into consideration when erecting a building like this are planning & building regulations, last year I built a 6m x 4m log cabin in my rear garden for a games room and due to the height & proximity of the building to my boundary I had to get both planning permission and building regs. The rules can be even worse if building in the front garden.
I have been doing some reading and I'm not seeing anything about it being worse if in the front garden. But I may have missed something. So what I've found is it looks like I would be building over a drain/sewer and a water line. If it's a private drain then I can build no problem, if it's a public sewer/drain then I need to get approval from the sewer company (about £200). I would imagine that would be the same for the waterline.

In regards to building regs, you are right. Based on classed E; it cannot exceed 50% of the total area of land around the original house, cant be self-contained (cannot live in there), must be single-storey with a max eaves height of 2.5 metres and max overall of 4 metres with dual pitched roof (3 metres in any other case) and if the building is within 2 metres of the property boundary line the height cannot exceed 2.5 metres in height total.

I would need to check the deeds and find the exact measurements for the property line/boundary line but I would imagine one of the sides will be less than 2 metres from the boundary line for sure. One side will be around 2 metres and the other two will be way within. So looks like I will need planning permission as 2.5m total height wouldn't leave me much room really, so I may as well look at something taller and apply for that seeing as I would need to go through planning anyway.

Food for thought anyway
Appreciate 0