Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
I think the ship has sailed - the Plaid is just the beginning and the M5 will have to resort to MagLev technology to keep up at this rate.

But all this is worrying. I think regulators will start requiring speed limit enforcement on vehicles once more EVs hit the road. Our road networks are not designed for this kind of acceleration from the public.
M5 compared to EV isn't the best comparison. Tesla vs E-tron / EQS / Taycan et all are the competitors. And they're all catching up in terms of performance and have surpassed Tesla in terms of interior quality / fit and finish.

Tesla isn't as viable. Auto manufacturers survive on single digit percentage points for margins. They are profitable because of the sheer amount of vehicles they sell. Tesla doesn't have that ability as of now. They can't pump out millions of cars a year.

But I think you are right on speed. A cap on speed needs to be put in place. When cars started broaching crotch rocket acceleration is when something needed to be done or said. Now we have soccer moms hitting 0-60 in 1.8 seconds.
Just the opposite. Tesla is now too big to fail. They are at 11% margin. All cars sold out through Q3 and two major factories coming up in Austin and Berlin.

They are ahead in battery, power train, technology and billions of miles of driving data with the largest charging network.

The Germans have been competing with Tesla models for at least 3-4 years now with a whole range of products.

Worst case, any auto company now given a chance would buy Tesla. They had a chance 3-4 years ago. Now they are valued at $700B.

But completion is good and it drives the industry. Competing with Tesla is like competing with Google or Apple or Amazon. Tesla is a tech company and they eat legacy companies for lunch. LOL.

Many companies seem to be firing on all cylinders right now (except Nissan)…
Appreciate 1
gblansten2110.50