02-28-2021, 11:04 AM   #17
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Nice to see another audio enthusiast here.

I'm going to have to try these IEMs out. I'm running a set of Shure SE535s.

I also second Moon Audio. I've been using them for years. I first used them to make up custom sets of Cardas Crosslink interconnects in balanced configuration. I don't remember if I bought the Crosslink speaker cables from them or my local specialty shop. I recently used them to make up a set of balanced cables for my Oppo PM-3s.

For the Shure, I use a portable amplifier from Ray Samuels Audio called the Predator. It also has a built in USB DAC. For the Oppo PM-3s, I use a Ray Samuels F35 Lightning. Currently using that amp with a single ended source. I'll be looking to get a DAP with balanced outs to mate up to this setup for full balanced audio through the entire chain.

On the tubes front, I have a Vincent Audio PHO-700 phono preamp mated to a VPI HW19Jr with a MKIII platter, Audioquest PT8(or 9 can't remember), and a Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III.
Nice! I'm glad there are other enthusiasts here as well!
As for the IEMs, do give them a shot and see what $38 will buy you today.

The Shure IEMs you have are respectable and have been around for a long time I believe and are not cheap. I think this is a perfect example for you to benchmark the inexpensive BLON-03. I'm sure you will be very surprised. As I told others, you'll want to use a different cable for sure.

FWIW, this guy who calls himself Crinacle is a well respected reviewer of IEMs and headphones, especially all of these Chi-Fi brands and models. He doesn't limit his reviews or analyses to them however, as he also includes a number of American, Japanese and other brands as well. I bookmarked this following site a while ago and use it as a reference. It's a really nice ranking list he put together. Of course he's just one guy out there with his own opinions on audio gear like this, but based on what people seem to think about his opinions, I have gathered it serves as a very informative source.

You will see your Shure IEMs in the list, as well as a couple of others I have mentioned earlier. What is fascinating to me is you can see the astronomical prices on some of these units all the way across the spectrum to very inexpensive ones. Technology has really taken off and produced some unbelievable earphones.

https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/
Appreciate 0