07-29-2020, 06:32 PM   #103
samchuang33
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY 16 440i & MY20 X7 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBri89 View Post
Purchased the Flash Licence and Map packs today.

Installed much quicker than it says, took like 2 minutes, I was expecting at least 10.
Went straight for the Stage 3.

It almost feels like the car has been remapped, because it just seems to pull so much better in Sport/S up through the gears. Can't wait to actually get it remapped as well.
Did the install yesterday and went straight to Map 3 too. Some issues at the start when toggling between home wifi and the MHD module. Install took 2 min and was relatively easy. I did a tcu read and made sure no code first before flashing.

Initial thoughts are that you can definitively feel the difference and it is very noticeable. In normal comfort mode with transmission in D, the gear change is a little quicker. The biggest difference the car seems to lurk forward when up shifting. In the past, normally there is a split sec pause before it changes gears but now it feels like the transmission jumps straight into the gear you selected and u get a shove in the back when it happens when upshifting. Under moderate acceleration, the 1st thing I notice is there DSG farts are less noticeable. It seems the gear change happens so quickly so there is no time for little drama that usually awaits us so I kinda miss that. Other than that, the gear changes in manual mode sport + are indeed very fast. When cruising at high speed, gear change are not only fast but also very smooth IMO. Maybe it behaves differently under WOT but peak hour traffic at motorway didn't give me much chance to push the car.

Another thing I notice was car can switch gear at lower gears quicker in manual mode. In the past when doing 60kph, factory gear box setting will not allow change to 7th gear. Now it will change to 7th gear and sits at 1000rpm. Perhaps that may help save fuel but lugging the engine may not be such as good idea long term. Need to check again if it does that too in normal D mode.

Totally agree with the statement from BBris89 that the car felt like it has been remap. A lot of attention has been put on ECU remaps to increase power but most don't realize that transmission is a big part of how the car behave. Car feels much more alive as gear change are amazingly rapid and I recon I have def shave a few milliseconds off acceleration and in particular in gear acceleration.

I was going to do the MHD/Bootmod tune in coming days but after driving yesterday, I actually don't feel the need for a remap straight away so I’m gonna hold off on doing ECU for a few weeks.
Appreciate 0