View Single Post
      05-18-2020, 05:33 AM   #11
commissioner
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
No the drive is failing which is why your system is rebooting.

At some point the CIC is hitting bad sectors which halt all IO to the drive as the drive's own mechanism keeps retrying to read those bad areas.

The CIC keeps buffering reads or writes until an overflow error condition exists and the OS crashes causing a reboot. Diagnostics do not show these errors.

Sometimes you'll get a good read of those failing sectors when the drive is cool and has not been in operation.

A best case for you is that you get a 100% clone of the drive onto a new one.

Next down, you'll get a somewhat extensive clone of the drive but you'll get errant sector reads. Since the navigation area on the drive is one of the largest, reloading the maps onto your new cloned drive can cure data errors that may arise.

What you are hoping for is that the partition that has your FSC codes can be read to the point that all the permission data moves over to the new drive.

If you can get the FSC containing partition, then at worst you can grab a drive image from someone else, write that out to your new drive, then restore the FSC partition over that same drive.

Worst case is that you can recover little to no data and that can be problematic.

I cloned my drive, kept the original have have the image on hand just in case the SSD I am running ever fails.
So the next step is to track down another drive (or SSD) and attempt to clone the drive it seems.

Is it possible to partition out the drive? I have a friend with another LCI E92 with a working iDrive so in theory could try recovering his navigation partition onto my drive and seeing if that rectifies the issue.
Appreciate 0