Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
This is an interesting perspective considering the fact that SUV's are keeping EVERYBODY afloat, including Porsche. You make it seem like it's only BMW. Do you remember how the Porsche crowd reacted when it was announced than an SUV was coming?!?Porsche can't sustain themselves solely on the 911 any more than BMW can sustain themselves solely on sporty cars. The world is not full of enthusiasts! Short memories indeed.
Totally get it and agree that Porsche as well as the rest of the world are into their SUVs. I am a minority buyer out there. I get it. That said, as a minority buyer Porsche has a whole host of attractive-to-me cars in their lineup. BMW currently has none that attract me. The M2 was the last and I was one of the first in the US to own one and sold it in December last year. If you haven't spent time in the Porsche world you'll see that while they make and rely on SUVs they, at least for now, remain committed to their sports cars unlike BMW. Every day they are promoting and targeting to me their sports car platforms while rarely are they promoting their SUVs to me. PCA every day sends me emails on modified 911s, their latest suspension technologies,...very sports car oriented. BMW CCA sends me messages on their MX1 event which has replaced their Octoberfest. They no longer have an HPDE as part of that annual event. Yes, I am an outlier and I hate that I'm writing this. My garage wall is full of pictures of my previous BMWs on the track as well as other BMW paraphernalia and banners. I love the brand for what it was and not what it has evolved to. I can hope that the next M2 will not be bigger than the F87 and will not have active sound and perhaps then they can start to draw me back in. Otherwise, I fear that my wife's current undifferentiated front drive based X1 will be the last BMW in my stable for the foreseeable future.