05-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #3
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpalvarez View Post
Hey Fam,

I recently purchased a 320i, at the time, its all I could afford. I love the experience and just being in a BMW. I recently over-indulged myself to many youtube videos, mod pages/forums and seen how enthusiastic drop significant $$ on upgrading the performance. Someone, told me the 320i is "the bottom of the barrel," am I wrong? Also, is there any worth to invest in upgrading the performance? (tune, air-flow. etc.) Thoughts? If you have a 320i and have mod-it, let me know your "Why" towards your investment?
The 320i, I understand, has 180 hp, while the 328i has 240 or so. My sporty-ish Buick Regal from 2011 was normally aspirated and also had 180 hp as compared to the Turbos with 260 hp, and when I felt the Regal running out of breath, so to speak, and had to downshift it to get more grunt, I wished I'd bought a Turbo. But --

The car was swift enough moving away from lights, and on the open road, if I wanted to zoom from 40, say, to 70, it revved smoothly and performed beautifully. If I hadn't liked the car, I wouldn't have kept it for five years.

My point is that the 320i may suit you beautifully just as it is. You can always tune it, you can use the transmission lever to drop to a lower gear for more zoom factor if you need to, but even if you don't, you'll have a solidly built car with better handling than most cars out there. Don't think of it as "bottom of the barrel," think of it as "I got a great car for a lot less than I expected!"