Thread: Z4M Weak Start
View Single Post
      12-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

If it was on a trickle charger, and clock and a variety of settings reset during the hard crank, it's time (IMO) to replace the battery. It's not supplying enough cold crank power to turn over and the resulting voltage drop reset the clock.

My MZ4 Coupe is 12 years old, on its 2nd battery going on about 7 years now. It gets cranked once every week for some joy rides now, or if my wife's diesel is blocking the Corvette (JFC I've gone FULL redneck now). I leave it on a CTEK overnight once a week, and it cranks over fine, but that first crank in the morning always cranks a little harder.

There's been a few times when I didn't leave it on a trickle charger, and after about 4-5 days the car would have very similar symptoms. Very hard and long first crank, and afterwards the windows (auto up and down), clock, trip, and a variety of stored information reset. I figure 7 years on an AGM is pretty much pushing my luck and will probably replace sometime next year.

Your case seems worse, that the battery has just enough voltage to barely crank over when cold even on a trickle charger.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1