View Single Post
      07-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub92 View Post
i imagine w/ ~$25k i could probably get the car to a reliable 500hp, widebody kit (m235ir or manhart or whatever), wheels/tires, and a nice suspension setup.
My experience leads me to suggest that you think in terms of $75K to start, with surprises and facts popping up along the way to take your spend into six figures.

Here's an idea that will cost you little to nothing: find the most competent race car shop that you'd be willing to drive to, make an appointment to go see them and tell them what you want, and ask them what they think it would cost for them to build it for you. Use a real race shop, one that builds race cars that don't break - i.e., don't use a tuner shop that just installs parts. I found mine by trolling a local SCCA race meeting looking for a shop that was supporting multiple cars that were doing well.

FWIW, it's the reliable part that makes the numbers what they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
...spend some good money to get coaching. The money I've spent on coaching has improved my time more than anything else dollar for dollar.
^ This.

I've spent probably 20 days at tracks all over the Northeast with pro race drivers coaching me. That made me faster than all the go-fast parts on my car did. Putting it politely, the fact is that 95% of us track day guys don't drive very well. A pro will lock right in on what you need to change to go faster, and you'll do it safer than you were when you were going slow. Budget at least a few grand for that exercise, too - it will be the best money you've ever spent making yourself go faster.

To me, the bottom line issue is this: do you want your car to be fast, do you want to be fast, or do you want both to be fast? My advice is the same old thing: first, fix the nut behind the wheel.

Whatever you do, have fun with it!

Last edited by dradernh; 07-10-2018 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 3
PLF693771.50
edub928.00
230iZTR321.50