View Single Post
      07-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub92 View Post
i imagine w/ ~$25k i could probably get the car to a reliable 500hp, widebody kit (m235ir or manhart or whatever), wheels/tires, and a nice suspension setup. might need some more if the engine has to be fully built but i could do most of the basic stuff like upgrading the valve train and dry sump myself.

i imagine with stripping the car down for weight, dialing in the suspension, and adding hoosiers you might be able to get the 2-3 seconds. adding weight back in for the cage and then adding aero and wider tires as well as more power... not sure how that would all add up.
Well, now that I have an idea of your budget, I can affirmatively tell you no, getting to GT3 level won't happen. For a car this weight, you'll want to run 295-305 tires. To do that you'll need the widebody which will cost roughly $7k-8k for parts plus install. Let's say install is $3k. You're at $10k-$11k. Add paint or wrap which will be $2k - $3k. Now, you'll need spacers, studs, and 11" wheels. That's going to be another $2.5k going the budget route. Now the suspension will need mucho camber and have to be a motorsport suspension that won't over heat, can handle Hoosiers, and adjustable enough that you can fine tune it. Add $8k for the camber plates, coilovers, and springs - diy on the install. Add tires and that's $1.5k. Sway bars or the car will roll like a Miata - $650, diy install. You're already well over budget. You'll need another $8k for the roll cage, $2k for seats/harnesses (budget route), and $800 for a good motorsport exhaust. Plus bushings, control arms, linkages, etc. For the n55 motor, you'll want an intercooler and something to address the oil/fuel starvation issues.

Now, if you want to build a car that can beat an M2, that'll be $5k for camber, good coilovers, wheels, and tires. Also assuming you can properly dial in the car yourself. You can beat a lot of cars with just this stuff - I did... But of course, it all comes down to the driver. I'd spend the $5k for the basic suspension stuff, add seats/harness/roll bar, then spend some good money to get coaching. The money I've spent on coaching has improved my time more than anything else dollar for dollar. I've passed Huracan Performantes, GT3s, GT3RS, Corvettes, you name it. That's not because my car is faster, that's because my margin of skill over the other guy is greater than the capabilities of his car over mine.

Here's a video of my coach from the 90's in a Civic passing a Ferrari F40. And yes, they were racing each other - the F40 lost.

Instagram: @Capt_and
Appreciate 0