View Single Post
      11-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #24
tim_s
Private
Rep
Drives: e91 325 and e36 m3 evo

Thought I'd give this running report a bit of an update. Bought this car on 94k and recently went over the 100k mark, so have got to know it quite well now.
Since last time, replaced the brake line to the driver's side front mentioned above with a BMW one. Normally make my own kunifer ones but seemed a bit pointless when the BMW replacement was cheap and easily fitted:

And have gradually been working through making sure the DME runs without any DTCs. When I bought the car it gave lambda and nox errors from time to time, and sounded like a diesel on idle - but all the n53s I looked at were equally noisy. Regardless I thought I'd start by upgrading to index 11 injectors. There was a mixture of index 9 and 3 on there. Bought 3 new from BMW, 3 second hand, and got a bit creative to fit new seals to the used ones - I used a wine stopper to act as the stretching tool, and the caps supplied with the new injectors to squash the seals to the correct shape. Coded them using INPA.
End result was more or less unchanged running and if anything it's noisier than before! Quite disappointing, will have another look at it a while later, I suspect one of the replacement injectors is potentially quite noisy but need to do some further testing. I managed to sell the old injectors for a decent rate on ebay so overall the upgrade wasn't so bad, and is good to know that I'm running on the latest revision across the board.

Also picked up a new nox sensor and fitted that. This resolved the nox errors. Now the DME runs without throwing any DTCs which I'm pretty happy with given the number it used to throw! The only error the car as a whole gives now is for the AUC sensor for the recirculation of the AC, otherwise everything's all good. Need to check at some point whether a previous owner has left the AUC sensor unplugged or something.

I also fitted a M performance exhaust. I was a bit worried from experience with eisenmanns on my m3 and alpina exhausts that it would be too noisy, but if anything it's a bit on the quiet side! If I had my time again, I'm not sure I'd bother doing it, I think I also prefer the way the original one looks. I bought the 330 one with the flap in it as it's running the 3 stage intake and the 330 map, but I've not connected the flap up.
Old:

New:

And lastly, some silly bulbs, both angels and the h7 mains for LEDs. Would like to fit some projectors for the LEDs, but no rush.

Thanks for reading, next time hopefully I'll have had some time to invest in comparing the 325, 330 and the generic flash map to see if I can begin to understand these DMEs. I'm not sure I'll alter anything for my car, I think the 330 map is fine for me, but would be interesting to see what vanos timing and ign advance etc it runs for academic reasons! I've not got an A2L/DAMOS or anything for this DME which would really help things along.
Figuring out how to alter the BMW 330 binary to work on the 325 was by far my favourite achievement on this car and is my favourite mod!
Appreciate 1