02-05-2017, 05:53 AM   #12
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport Med Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew520d View Post
Looks good but a bit of a boat.very long and wide.
Always overpriced and huge discounts were available in the uk from new I believe. They were heavily subsidised here too I think. I know a guy with one from new and he told me bmw Ireland were giving an additional 15k discount bonus to shift them when he bought in 2014.
With regards to the low trade in values for the f10, I think they're just a fact of life due to cheap imports and the fact they are so common now.they are not the prestigious car of old.
Buying nearly new will make more sense it seems.
Definitely better to hold off rather than succumb to the allure of getting into the brand new model as an early adopter...had a look st the January car sales stats versus January 2016 and BMW is down over 40%, and that's across all models not just the five series. Audi is back a little but Mercedes is up substantially, the E class is up by over 500% alone and that surely has a lot of conquest sales from BMW. Even tge Jaguar XF is holding its own, albeit from a low base. The 5 has become too common for its own good, and sometimes there's a quiet satisfaction in driving a high spec car which could be confused for a rebadged 518d ....until I floor the pedal!! More fundamentally, holding off on changing for a while might bring greater clarity on where the policy makers are going with diesel. The 530i is about six grand cheaper than the 530d with almost similar performance, albeit with only a four cylinder engine.
Appreciate 0