View Single Post
      05-25-2016, 11:20 PM   #10
amn3sia
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
I would never floor the car when the engine is cold. if you start the car from dead cold and immediately floor the car the oil pump hasn't even sufficiently allowed for proper oil distribution throughout the engine yet so you are putting unnecessary strain on an oil starved engine. not good. sorry if I am misunderstanding but I still don't see an issue based on what you are describing?
This wasn't a case of me cold starting the engine and just flooring the pedal. To clarify, I drove my car to work (an hour behind the wheel) one morning. An hour / hour and a half later, I was showing the car to a coworker and started the engine.

Without touching the pedal, the RPMs sat at ~1100-1200 for a good half minute. After that half minute, it dropped down to ~700 and I gave it some pedal gradually until the RPMs climbed to ~2500. It revved a little rough, after that I hit the gas a little harder and it would stutter and only peak out right around 3K RPMs.

A minute later and everything is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||||||||| View Post
my car won't rev passed a certain point when cold either. it's designed not to to protect itself.
Is that by design? (Sorry, your statement was a little ambiguous)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
maybe check your intake/tubes and see if any are cracked/etc. tell us more about your mods/mileage/etc.
Thanks! I checked and everything looks good thankfully. My car has 63K miles, 100% stock with the exception of some light suspension mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
For all I know my car could have the same issue ... But since I start my car and let it complete the entire "cold start cycle" before I move it or even touch the throttle ... Who knows.

Try starting the beast and then chill for a minute to enjoy the sound and wait for the end of the procedure before you floor it!
Yeah I apologize if I made it sound as if I just*floored it after starting it. It's tricky for me to explain, but I hope what I wrote above clarifies things a bit.
Appreciate 0