03-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
I see a 4 Liter V8 of some sort with E-turbo this or E drive that( I believe the current Bxx series are pretty modular). I doubt it will fully die just as the V12 hasn't. However I see it being a rare breed only in the upper trim levels and as long as emissions/economy standards can be meet. The consumer will have to pay but I highly doubt the V8 is dead, as more fuel efficient solutions are found it will help buck the trend. Even if in 10yrs it is a 2 liter V8 with 3 Electronic turbos, if the market demands it they will sell it.

I think the biggest problem with z German brands is it has to make a solid business case and be profitably for such few sales in the overall picture. An with the current gen 4s and 6s producing as much power as large NA V8s of old its a tough sell.

I know GM is currently working on a twin turbos V8 for the none high performance models and rumors of a much smaller NA v8 for the next gen Vette/ Camaro . I doubt GM will abandon the V8 just as its unlikely FCA or Ford will all together. But they will become much more complex and expensive to produce in order to make CAFE numbers and that cost will be pushed onto those consumers.

Its not all uncommon to have a V8 now that isn't able to get 25-29MPGs which a while back ago that was unheard of for a sedans or sports cars.

The test will be how all this translates to SUVs/Pickup segment where V8s are almost a must.

I would buy that 2.0 liter V8 with 3 turbos and its a plug-in.

Last edited by DocWeatherington; 03-10-2016 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 1