Thread: My 335i Project
View Single Post
      12-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #157
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Not much has happened so to speak, but a couple of issues have been attended too. Firstly an annoying light surging from low speed/low rpm shifting through the gearbox(that produced no faults whatsoever)was traced back to all things a rouge element within my re map that was so obscure that one of the company's we use(who mapped it)simply couldn't see.

The decision was to remove the map completely as we had nothing whatsoever to go on and return the car to standard setup (even though I have catless pipes on) to see if the issue was still present after re setting all the parameters test drive proved that everything was as it should be so start with the map.

File was sent off to the other company we use they spotted the error straightaway which tells me a lot for the future as to who's on the ball.

Anyway map was analysed the issue I had I now knew about a new map was uploaded the car was test driven and now I have a car with good power plus very linier progressive power too. So this will be monitored over a period of time by me to ensure long-term it is to my satisfactionbut so far so good and a great improvement for me over what I had previously

The other issue relates to something that over time creeps up on all of us namely rear subframe suspension bushes, which I'd been speaking to mob17 about over the last few days as he is looking to do his nad it rag a bell with me.

I kind of knew as Mo's comments rang a bell that I had issues nothing to serious but wear was present it wasn't until my car stepped out rather unpredictably on a greasy roundabout the other day that it had in my mind got to the next level.

Opposite lock traction control the lot was before me and for me that was enough.

So up in the air 3 out of the 4 rear subframe bushes were crying enough is enough so as we are a Powerflex dealer new rear bushes were ordered(remember these have a lifetime warranty)so if they are fitted correctly and they are seen to show signs of cracking under their warranty there is a right of redress in terms of getting cracked bushes replaced.

Pictures will follow a little later on when time permits, but pleased to say the cars as tight as my work colleagues at the bar come a round of drinks, feels very well planted and is to be fair very firm which I think complements my Bilstein B8's and EiBach springs and roll bar set up, turn in from the rear is a lot more obedient over say expansion strips in the road or repaired road surfaces the rears a lot more controlled and overall someone wishing to undertake this mod will be pleased with the end result.

The beauty is long-term though rare to replace on these cars its an area throughout your ownership that you'd not have to in my eyes re visit once you've gone through the pain or replacing.

And talking of pain is the thorny question of labour, it would seem on paper straight forward in practice it time consuming like 6 hours time consuming(if done correctly)as I was the recipient of the labour for the work hence a lot of people question (quite rightly)or wince when these costs are mentioned. Sadly that's where you'll be if you are looking to undertake this work. But its worthwhile.

Pics of the strip, knackered bushes and replacement items will follow

Last edited by old grey steve; 12-25-2015 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 1