GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
LED longevity

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit View Post
I have my M3 on order and currently have LED lights. I tend to keep my cars for 4-6 years and put ~100k miles on them. I know LEDs are supposed to last roughly 100k hours or so, is that also true of the LED headlights on these cars? One concern I have is premature burn out. On my S4 there were a few guys who would have a few LEDs in the taillights go out and be on the hook for an entire tail light assembly. Is there a way to replace just the LED on the F8x or would we be on the hook for a new headlight?
I am an architect with a keen interest in lighting. I went to Frankfurt in March for a huge trade show on such. From what I know, LEDs are not forever, but in automotive terms should outlast your ownership. LEDs will degrade over time (reduced lumen output), but 50k hours is not unreasonable for retaining high lumen output. Given that they are solid state and have no filaments, failures should be very low. Not out of the question, but low.

While I'm not sure they outperform xenons in this application, I far prefer the looks of the lights to those. I do find a bit of a dark spot between beams on high that I need to look into. I had mine coded for European performance.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0