Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
Resale value.
Maybe.

Technology curve wise, the wiz bang software/screen things are trickling down to economical vehicles right now. In mass production mode the screens get cheap & the software once written is free so you would expect manufacturers to add functionality & glitz to base models after initial development costs have been captured. How this may effects resale I don't know, having the stuff may no longer be a selling point but maybe not having the stuff would be a negative.

Hardware & firmware obsolescence is more worrisome. Hopefully replacement components will be available long term & at a less than cardiac arrest price levels, but, try to buy a component to repair a 5+ year old computer system today and you may walk away either with an empty hand or a shrunken wallet.

There is no such thing as a 2 series that does not have computer technology liabilities, so maybe worrying about added maintenance liabilities with the technology options is just nit picking. I'm kind of thinking that I will always have an iPad or cell phone though & that will be a lot cheaper to keep up to date if I need latest & greatest technology or want to keep some commonality of interface with all of my gadgets.

Or maybe I'm just a luddite curmudgeon who doesn't want a car to be that much smarter than he is
Appreciate 0