View Single Post
      08-29-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
If I keep my 135, it will definitely get a tune (PPK, Cobb, or Dinan) and exhaust (probably the CP-E I've been eyeing for years). I am also considering the BMW PS and possibly M3 rear subframe bushings to get rid of that back-end bounciness.
The reason I may not keep my 1er is that I was rear-ended a few months ago badly enough to cause frame damage. I think structurally and mechanically it is fine after repairs, but BMW needs to cut me a deal on buyout because I don't want to be left holding the bag when a buyer down the road won't pay full value because of that scarlet letter on a carfax report.

Also, I cannot speak to the comparo between the 1er DCT and the 235 AT, as I have not tried the former. I can only say that I found the 8AT to be most impressive, especially given my previously low opinion of slushboxes.
Sadly, I remember your accident photos, which always sucks. You may want to check your carfax cause sadly, I had 25k in damage on my 2008 135 and yet, a clean carfax which shocked me. If it is indeed on there and it bothers you long-term down the road, then you may be better off turning it in, let it be BMW's problem, and trying to find a good, similar used one perhaps for about the same price as your buyout? A used 135is might be good too as it'll already have the PPK2 and PE. Of course I'm biased in this.

I also recently put on the BMW PS and oh my lord what a transformation that is. I cannot recommend it enough, though it's somewhat sad we have to put a whole new suspension on to make the handle how it should have from the factory. I had contemplated the m3 subframe bushings or at least the whiteline inserts, but after putting on the PS, it feels so planted, so tight, and so great, I don't think it needs those other things.

My 2 cents. I haven't driven either car in manual though to help out on transmission questions or to know what a manual N55 with PPK or other tune feels like. Know though that you can't put a cobb tune on an N55 2012 and up I don't think. 2011 it looks like you can though.

And ah, I was going to ask if you test drove one with runflats or PSS. I made sure I test drove one with PSS cause that's what I have to make it as close to an apples to apples comparison as I could. Why a new M235 would be fitted with runflats still when the PSS are a $0 option is beyond me.
Appreciate 0