08-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #7
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
The pessimist in me (not often prominent, but there nonetheless) thinks that it is so that dealers can profit without backlash on the first car MSRP markup.

While the few people who've ordered and are first or second in line at their respective dealers on this forum likely are paying MSRP, the reality is that this is a tiny fraction of the i8 buyers at large.

From what I've been reading, the majority of dealers, especially in large metropolitan areas, are not taking lists and will sell their first one or two i8s for $50k - $100k over MSRP.

It would be ludicrous if the customer can look at a $100k markup for one dealer's first car, when another dealer on the other side of town is selling their second or third i8 for much less.

With all cars coming in simultaneously, there will be no choice but to take the car at above MSRP for those who want to be "first" and are not like the guys on this forum who put down deposits 1-2 or more years ago to be first in line and not overpay above sticker.

Just a thought, I could be wrong and BMW is just planning a really awesome nationwide i8 party. Who knows.
And I've heard BMW is cutting allocations from dealers if they find them selling over sticker. So why would they help them gouge customers? They don't get any of that money over sticker, the dealer does.
Appreciate 0