06-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #21
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3.2.M4 View Post
Sorry for the ignorance but is the dealer able to detect these changes when you take it in for service
Yes, and I'm sure they could care less ... many of us bring it in all the time, for many years now, and they don't care that things that are non-US-spec are turned on/off.

Quote:
and could they somehow void your warranty?
I don't see how they could prove that the coding changes are ground for voiding the warranty. What coding does is simply use BMW's ESYS software to change pre-defined settings (already set in the ECUs by BMW) to operate at a feature that is not allowed/set for the market that your vehicle was delivered in, however is available in another part of the world.

Quote:
Also is there any chance you can screw up other things with coding? I wouldn't like to brick my car. Again sorry for the ignorance on this subject.
There is a 0.01% chance that if you follow all of the directions to a "t" that you could possibly "brick" an ECU ... however the process for the F-Chassis vehicles is so much more simple than on the E-Chassis BMWs that it is almost impossible.

As long as you do not hit the button that says "Code Default Values" in ESYS ... you should be fine ... however I guarantee nothing unless I'm doing it myself, and even then ... I'm not charging you for my services/time ... so it's all at YOUR own Risk ... but, yea ... the slightest chance in the world, maybe, that something could get screwed up.
Appreciate 0