M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I just posted this elsewhere but wanted to make sure to include it here as well

"there is certainly no final rush to the red line and the actual substance behind the last 1500rpm feels a bit thin"

The EVO review, although pretty preliminary sums up nicely what I have been saying about the engine since the second I saw the torque curve (and pretty well knew as soon as the car was confirmed as turbo charged. My predictions have been the source of some crazy debate... Putting the statement above into it's full context...

The 7600 rpm redline is artificial, not really needed and kind of represents a poseur-ish statement by BMW knowing the outcry when they release an engine with a redline having the first digit a 6.... or even something like 7250, which is probably all that is needed. A big part of the thrill of the S65 is gone and for me that is very unfortunate.
I wonder if the lack of excitement after 6500 has more to do with the comparative shove felt mid-range. Perhaps the car is pulling just as hard as the e92 but just more noticeable in the e92 because it was relatively gutless until then? I agree that the high rev performance isn't matching the perception of the outgoing model, but it seems like it is much better than the N54 party's over at 6000 feeling.

I don't mind short-shifting because it gives me something to do with the DCT and we will have to see some tests to see if it results in quicker acceleration. Meanwhile, I'd prefer a car with acceleration I can enjoy 98% of the time v. 2% in the old model. I can also appreciate that it may have been fun chasing that ragged edge.
Appreciate 0