01-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #13
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Snooky, I have never driven an SD but owned an S for 6 months and now had the JCW for 7 months.

My thoughts:

1. They both do 37 to 38mpg
2. Both on standard suspension. The 'S' non run flat conti 3s and the JCW on Dunlop runflats. I could not tell the difference between ride quality between them 99% of the time. The JCW feels a little bit more planted overall and on really rubbish roads is a bit firmer. I do not drive the car on the limit and would have the run flats for convinience if I ordered again. The car has more grip on non runflats if you hammered it in 1st or 2nd in damp conditions but I don't drive like so a non issue for me.

3. Spec you do not have to go daft.

-Lounge leather really nice and worth the extra over punch leather. From memory you get contrasting trim at zero cost if you want with this option.
- Heated seats
- Auto dim mirror - had on so many cars and should be standard
- Chili pack
- Hardon Karmon sounds, have on the JCW - is really good and the standard system is poor on the S.

I think thats about all plus metallic on the JCW and I have on either and do not miss anything as you get 17", Phone, i pod conection, dab xenons, etc in the chilli.

You can now get the JCW bodykit factory fitted on the SD so if you like the look it may be worth the extra cash. For me a std ish model will do the job and day to day won't be much slower than the JCW.

I drive mainly in sports mode as I prefer the throttle response. I think as Tony says non sports steering has a bit more natural feel but with the sports button pressed the engine pops and bangs so it's more fun in this mode on the JCW.

So after a year in Mini's do I like them 'yes' am I looking at other cars at the moment 'always' but would only swap it for something more practical for the family and would not buy another 'fun' car as this does the job.
Auto dim mirror isn't standard yet....balls just check and the one I am looking at doesn't have this list

Is sport button standard on the Cooper S mate?