Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK First ever BMW, 330i or 320i? (G20)

02-07-2024, 12:42 PM   #1
bmw131
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

First ever BMW, 330i or 320i? (G20)

Hi everyone,

I am currently deciding between getting a BMW 320i (2021/22) or getting a slightly older 330i (2020) and can't decide between the two.

The 330i would have M sport pro pack I heard good things about adaptive suspension but the 19inch alloys. Is this also worth it on the 320i or do you recommend one or the other without a pack etc. Which combination would make sense?

I am coming from a mere 1.4 ford focus around 100 bhp, does about 0-60 in 11/12 seconds. I would like to keep this BMW for at least 5+ years and want to make the right choice. Long term would you say the 320i is fine coming from my 1.4 or is it worth getting a year older 330i? Also is it necessary to get the adaptive suspension and any other features that are a must?

Thank you all, looking forward to officially being a BMWer I have saved up a long time for this.

Update: I will now test drive both, based on everyones advice I would have to lean more to the M sport pro pack side for the adaptive suspension and get a 330i so the power is there and it allows me to keep the car longer rather than buying a 320i cash and then upgrading again for 330i, thought it's better to get it over done with and buy now! I will update again once both cars have been test driven

Last edited by bmw131; 02-10-2024 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i145.50
      02-07-2024, 02:09 PM   #2
Arthur55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

Think it is a personal opinion.

With BMW I always test drive at least twice, get rid of the initial excitement due to the tech etc and then go back with a calmer set of eyes.

My last 3 BMWs have always been an M Sport level of trim. Wouldn't look at anything else now. Love the styling. I have a 320i touring. The performance is really good with the auto box, balance of usable power and still some economy. Either option will be a substantial step up from the Focus.

My must options now are simple heated seats, cruise control, led headlights,

Good luck with your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 04:09 PM   #3
bmw131
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur55 View Post
Think it is a personal opinion.

With BMW I always test drive at least twice, get rid of the initial excitement due to the tech etc and then go back with a calmer set of eyes.

My last 3 BMWs have always been an M Sport level of trim. Wouldn't look at anything else now. Love the styling. I have a 320i touring. The performance is really good with the auto box, balance of usable power and still some economy. Either option will be a substantial step up from the Focus.

My must options now are simple heated seats, cruise control, led headlights,

Good luck with your purchase.
Yep either way it will be a step up and will test drive the 320i vs 330i for sure, I will then test drive one of the above twice one with 18 wheels and other with 19. My personal preference is definitely the look of the M sport, as far as the m sport pro pack goes I am not sure if adaptive suspension is that much of importance I am sure the M suspension would suffice.

Will test drive and decide from there, when going to BMW approved used dealer is there anything to look out for when inspecting like would I look under bonnet for rust etc or interior or wear tear and most importantly would I request them to do an MOT before being sold or can they not do that? One of the cars being sold had advisory of there being a tear in the tyre but not enough to fail the MOT, this was 4 months ago.....
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 04:40 PM   #4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I would err on the 330i with more kit, especially if you are keeping it for a while. In 5 years time being a 20 or 21plate will make no odds. The 320 may feel fine now but you soon get used to more power so I'd go with the more pokey 330i.
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i145.50
      02-07-2024, 04:45 PM   #5
Arthur55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

Mins has 19 with run flats.......they do produce more road noise but the look is better.......

I would hope a BMW dealer would have their cars prep to BMW standards. Wouldn't think you've got rust to worry about........
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:26 AM   #6
Riccardog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320i Touring MSport

I have a 320i. Came from a much older 530i with 240bhp, the 320i only has 190 odd. On paper I was concerned about the step down. However, in pratice the much more advanced gearbox and the different delivery of power from the engine have meant that I've never missed those 50 horses gone missing.

Ie: in the UK, for 99% of your driving, a 320i will be fine. But, its always nice to have more power, of course, so get a 330i if you can and are not compromising on something else, such as spec. They're all pretty well specced anyways, its more about whether you really want some of the better toys, such as HUD and adaptive suspension.

The other side of that coin is more things to go wrong, although I do think its best to run these cars under the BMW extended warranty as long as you can. Not that they're unreliable or fragile, just that if something does go it will be quite expensive to fix!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 04:51 AM   #7
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

I don't think you can go wrong with either car, I came from a 2009 Ford S-Max and it's night and day drive and quality-wise. With regards to trim level when I was looking earlier in the year about 90% of the cars on Autotrader etc. were M Sport so it wasn't really much of a choice!

The main options I wanted for mine were the storage pack and Adaptive suspension after I read and watched a lot of reviews talking about the stiff ride. Harmon Kardon would have been nice too but I don't really listen to much music whilst driving so I'm not too bothered that I don't have it. I would suggest reading some of the many, many threads here about Adaptive suspension e.g. https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1621306 or https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1613560
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 11:30 AM   #8
Charlie330i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

I bought a 2019 G21 330i a year ago and have added 20k miles in that time.

It has 19" wheels and M-sport adaptive suspension - I went looking for adaptive after not liking the ride of a standard M model with 18's.

Coming from a 2013 M135i, it's not as quick, but the ride is better and it gives (me) more confidence down a B road.

I would say that the adaptive suspension is a must have, the M-sport Diff a nice to have and I use the HUD all the time after initially wondering what was the point
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:16 PM   #9
bmw131
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
I would err on the 330i with more kit, especially if you are keeping it for a while. In 5 years time being a 20 or 21plate will make no odds. The 320 may feel fine now but you soon get used to more power so I'd go with the more pokey 330i.
Yeah fair point, the salesman said the 330i excitement will wear off and I would want a 320i to avoid tickets but I am sure 330i can still be a good comfy daily?

As for getting lets say a 2021/22 plate would you say a PCP is good or straight cash - I want a car to keep for at least 5 plus years I am not fussed about a nee model every 3 years
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:27 PM   #10
bmw131
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie330i View Post
I bought a 2019 G21 330i a year ago and have added 20k miles in that time.

It has 19" wheels and M-sport adaptive suspension - I went looking for adaptive after not liking the ride of a standard M model with 18's.

Coming from a 2013 M135i, it's not as quick, but the ride is better and it gives (me) more confidence down a B road.

I would say that the adaptive suspension is a must have, the M-sport Diff a nice to have and I use the HUD all the time after initially wondering what was the point
That's interesting you say that because although everyone says they wouldn't go back to 19 and how 18 are better especially more cushioning for potholes (everywhere in UK) that this is best. However I also thought BMW wouldn't throw in 19 wheels without offsetting it somewhat so thought the adaptive suspension offsets some of the negatives - I don't care about looks but think the AS and other benefits of pro pack help so will go with this as it is hard to find 18 wheel 330i with just adaptive suspension without the m pro pack that comes with 19 but will go with this and get BMW to replace any bad tyres to avoid the cost of replacing any new ones in future! Also did you buy it outright or PCP etc?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 04:44 PM   #11
alFR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw131 View Post
As for getting lets say a 2021/22 plate would you say a PCP is good or straight cash - I want a car to keep for at least 5 plus years I am not fussed about a nee model every 3 years
PCP from BMW on approved used is a ruinous 13.9% APR. If you have the cash, I’d pay up front rather than going with that (unless you can get a better 3rd party PCP deal).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 03:04 AM   #12
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Yeah fair point, the salesman said the 330i excitement will wear off and I would want a 320i to avoid tickets but I am sure 330i can still be a good comfy daily?
An important factor is the extra costs vs the amount you'll get out of it which is very much a personal decision. For me I would have loved a 330i or a 340i but I couldn't justify the extra expenses, both in purchase price plus ongoing costs like insurance, compared to the amount of driving I do (I've only done 1800 miles since August last year when I got the car).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 03:28 AM   #13
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Beware of salesmen telling you anything they think you need to hear to steer you towards the car they have to sell!

Usually I'd go for the higher performance 330i. Having had a 320i for a couple of weeks as a loan car I know that they aren't slow. Given the level of performance of your current car, I think a 320i will be quite a step up. You won't be disappointed.

Thers's also more 320i available. The 330i is a bit of a rarer beast I think. More choice puts you in charge to make a deal. Find two or more you want and then play them off against each other.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 05:22 AM   #14
FManc
Rep
Drives: 118i M Sport (14 plate)

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I am currently deciding between getting a BMW 320i (2021/22) or getting a slightly older 330i (2020) and can't decide between the two.

The 330i would have M sport pro pack I heard good things about adaptive suspension but the 19inch alloys. Is this also worth it on the 320i or do you recommend one or the other without a pack etc. Which combination would make sense?

I am coming from a mere 1.4 ford focus around 100 bhp, does about 0-60 in 11/12 seconds. I would like to keep this BMW for at least 5+ years and want to make the right choice. Long term would you say the 320i is fine coming from my 1.4 or is it worth getting a year older 330i? Also is it necessary to get the adaptive suspension and any other features that are a must?

Thank you all, looking forward to officially being a BMWer I have saved up a long time for this.
I’m currently in the same position looking at a 22/23 320i or a 22/21 330i. I’ve currently got an older shaper 420i which is pretty much the same set up as the 320i and I’ve been very happy with it for the last 6 years. It’s a great all round engine and it can also be nippy in Sport mode when you want it to be. I’m looking at the touring model and the 330i is A LOT harder to come by than the 320i. I am definitely leaning more towards a 330i though; I don’t really need more power but after 6 years I would like more power if that makes sense.

I’d definitely get the M Sport Pro pack as I just think it look so much better! I couldn’t get one without Harman Kardon speakers either but that does narrow down your choice (it just depends how much you’re into music).

Eitherway you’ll be very happy with the step up from a Focus. I had a 1 series before getting the 420i and even that felt like a massive step up.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 05:43 AM   #15
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Gross Byte View Post
Beware of salesmen telling you anything they think you need to hear to steer you towards the car they have to sell!

Usually I'd go for the higher performance 330i. Having had a 320i for a couple of weeks as a loan car I know that they aren't slow. Given the level of performance of your current car, I think a 320i will be quite a step up. You won't be disappointed.

Thers's also more 320i available. The 330i is a bit of a rarer beast I think. More choice puts you in charge to make a deal. Find two or more you want and then play them off against each other.
Totally agree with this - the 320i will feel much quicker than your Focus, and if you’re wanting to keep the car longer term, then I’d opt for the newest & lowest mileage car you can. You’ll also likely get more for your budget in terms of options. I’d recommend one with a pro pack, as the adaptive suspension does make a difference, but also more to go wrong. Whatever you choose you’ll end up with a great car, loved my time with my G20.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 07:58 AM   #16
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:

Absolutely, some salesmen would sell you snake oil if it meant they made their bonus!

I'd agree with many of the comments on here and am sure you'd be delighted with either engine size bearing in mind the 30i is essentially the same as the 20i just in a higher state of tune.
Whilst I've got the 40i version my wife has a 20i, albeit in a 2 series coupe, but mind I have to say it's a lively little motor and not that much less in weight to a 320i in real world terms and especially with the 8 speed auto which is just so good at getting the best out of the engine.
Maybe worth giving more attention to the spec you'd be happy with and not be too concerned with the engine size?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 01:31 PM   #17
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
.... bearing in mind the 30i is essentially the same as the 20i just in a higher state of tune.
I wanted to say this but was afraid I'd get flamed by 330i owners.
Appreciate 1
bmnut842.50
      02-09-2024, 01:47 PM   #18
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 408 1.2GT

330i are fetching quite a premium on the used car market. Likely you'll have to pay over the odds for a highly specced model because they're so desirable.

I came from a Seat Leon to a 320i and I was perfectly happy with the power. Obviously 330i will be even better but it'll depend on your type of driving style and nature of commute whether you actually use that power. I don't need it because my commute is stuck on 40-50 mph roads, with regular roving speed traps.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 03:22 PM   #19
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

I doubt there is much I can add. My 340i is a great car, but quite honestly, had there been a 320i touring with xdrive available, I would have gone for one of those TBH, I do not need, nor have much opportunity to use the power the 340i has.

I wanted a car with xdrive for the when I have to deal with snow on occassions during the winter where I am, otherwise I'd have been happy enough to go rear wheel drive only.

I've read that the ride with the standard suspensiohn with 18" wheels is fine, and even with the adaptive suspension in comfort, you will find the ride to be a fair bit firmer than your 1.4 Focus, but all BMW's have a more sportier, firmer ride.

You'll be fine with the power from the 320i has. Note that if xdrive is something you might want, the g20 can be found with xdrive pre-LCI, just not the g21 (touring)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 04:32 AM   #20
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to say this but was afraid I'd get flamed by 330i owners.
Nah! We're all friends on here!

OP I think you'll find a huge difference with either engine size BMW compared to what you have now and has been mentioned by 'The Tok'Ra' all BMWs are renowned for their firmer suspension settings anyway.
If it helps I have adaptive suspension on my car and the ride quality in 'comfort' setting I find quite acceptable even on our potholed roads but then again I've had BMWs for many, many years now so I'm probably used to the firmer settings. My wife however does not have adaptive on her car with 18" runflats and notwithstanding that she has an F22 with a quite different suspension layout as opposed to my G22 I find that the ride quality in her car is not as comfortable as mine but still not harsh by any means. The one thing I do notice very much so is the steering feels more positive and direct than mine and the turning circle on hers is way better, much tighter, and where she can do a three point turn I'd have to do a five pointer but that's down to hers being sDrive and mine being xDrive which in comparison feels like turning a supertanker compared to a RIB.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 06:18 AM   #21
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

330i owner here.
I test drove two 320i loan cars before making my purchase. I was happy with the performance of both. However, I was changing from a P250 XF Jaguar - and did not want to take a backward step - and eventually come to regret my purchase - hence going for the 330i (slightly more power & quite a bit lighter).
Many years back, in 2001, I made the mistake of buying the sensible choice 525 SE (E39 model) - and after only a year, started to find the engine lacking. I wish I had gone for the 530 - the body simply needed more power.
I don't think the 320i will feel underpowered - but it all depends on what you are familiar with.
The 340 would be a totally different "beast" - if money were no concern, I'd have considered it - but it would have been a complete waste for my usage.
Make sure you do a proper test drive, I covered just over 100 miles on my normal roads before signing the agreement - no regrets here.
Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 2
RoGo330i145.50
DavidXJ669.50
      02-10-2024, 07:00 AM   #22
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

OP.... the commonality of opinion/advice on here is the importance of test driving both models with and without extras from the standard spec and only you will be able to decide what is going to suit you best!
Appreciate 0