2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Digital dash

02-02-2024, 12:21 PM   #1
Billy Cheeseman
Fender bender
Rep
Drives: Sky Grey 330e tour msport pro

Digital dash

is it just me or is the idrive 8 digital dash a slight missed opportunity

couldnt they have offered a few different layouts for the dials - being a more mature gent, I would love a digital version of old style analogue dials
      02-02-2024, 01:09 PM   #2
Arthur55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport touring

I understand what you meantime........but after moving from an old style dash this is an eye opener. I have the HUD which is fantastic.

But a more traditional style option would have been nice too..........to be honest I suspect most people only really need speed, revs, fuel, possibly temp and time.

After test driving a KIA, sorry, the ergonomics of my 3 series BMW is so much better.......
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 07:44 AM   #3
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur55 View Post
I understand what you meantime........but after moving from an old style dash this is an eye opener. I have the HUD which is fantastic.

But a more traditional style option would have been nice too..........to be honest I suspect most people only really need speed, revs, fuel, possibly temp and time.

After test driving a KIA, sorry, the ergonomics of my 3 series BMW is so much better.......
Even though I have ID7 on my car and still love the 'old style' type instrument layout (probably because I'm an old git now!) having the HUD is the real benefit because realistically it's all I ever look at anyway so for me that's actually the most important part. Plus I wear 'distance specs' for driving, a legacy from advanced driving days in a previous life also enhanced by the 'old git' bit, and the figures and letters on the instrument binnacle are slightly fuzzy and the iDrive central control screen about 90% or so in focus!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 06:02 AM   #4
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

The current BMWs iDrive 8 is missed opportunity on multiple sides!

<rant>
The biggest advantage of having a display instead of fixed instruments is to be able to have the data you want, where you want it, represented the way you want it.
Why you can NOT have rev counter in Comfort or ECO when wider display is selected?!
Why is there a big f*cking tile displaying current running status of the car and you can have either adaptive display(coasting, Engine off, etc.) OR journey data(mileage, trip distance, etc.). NOT both at the same time?! The entire 70-80% of tile's screen estate is wasted for a picture of the car, which shows which blinker you have pressed...WTF?!! Why you can not use the empty space to show e.g. tyre pressure?...or(and) oil temp? Or any other information that is relevant for the driver?!
C'mon BMW, you can do better. And changing all these elements on screen is just a SW update, so I can understand these options missing when OS8 launched, but not after years of "development".
</rant>
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 04:19 AM   #5
Robstokie1974
Private
Rep
Drives: 330e

Agreed, I would love more options in terms of what’s visible, a representation of a moving needle would be great, supposed to be a drivers car, not an astronauts ��
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 07:34 AM   #6
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robstokie1974 View Post
Agreed, I would love more options in terms of what’s visible, a representation of a moving needle would be great, supposed to be a drivers car, not an astronauts ��
A bit like comparing the original English Electric Lightning to an F35 Lightning!

Sadly I'm old enough to remember them both!
Appreciate 0