Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Auto locking - death trap?

01-02-2024, 01:12 PM   #1
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Auto locking - death trap?

I went for a pee on the Eurotunnel today and as usual forgot to leave the key in the car, so when I walked off OH was locked in. While I was in the loo two carriages away, there was an announcement in ours that an incident had been detected and everyone was to move to the next carriage. As soon as OH moved, the car alarm went off but she couldn't open the door. Fortunately it was nothing, but if the carriage had been on fire she would presumably have been trapped in the car.

This seems like an extremely serious flaw, or have I just overlooked something?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:52 PM   #2
BioChemist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 320e

Maybe a dumb question please forgive me, but what or who is OH ???
Appreciate 1
nalnass118.50
      01-02-2024, 01:54 PM   #3
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Other half
Appreciate 2
      01-02-2024, 02:50 PM   #4
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

Two tugs on the door handle should open it, no? Same as with pretty much every other car on the market. Also, if she’s in the front, I think the unlock button still works in this situation.

If neither of these work then I agree, it’s stupid design, especially as the car has seat sensors in the front.

Last edited by paulockenden; 01-02-2024 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 04:21 AM   #5
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

You are correct, it is a potential death trap and in the scenario you describe, there is no way for the passenger(s) to get out of the car unless they have the strength to kick one of the windows out.

I raised this with BMW 3 years ago but they weren't interested.

Both my previous idrive 7 cars had this behaviour (2020 118i and M340i). I haven't tried it in the newer idrive 8 / 8.5 BMW's but assume they didn't change it.

I can see some logic in that you want to make it harder to gain entry to the car if they smash the window, but I would have thought you could have put a 15 minute timer or something before the internal doors were disabled as an option.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 04:25 AM   #6
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Found the email from August 2021:

I’ve discovered what seems to be an extremely dangerous flaw in the way the central locking works. I have my car set to lock when I walk away from the car as this is a good way to ensure it isn’t left unlocked in error. However, several times I’ve stopped at the shops with my family and I jump out to get something and the car locks. This in itself is not an issue, but what is terrifying is that the passengers left inside are unable to get out!

I did a test yesterday with me sat in the passenger seat and getting locked in. I tried double pulls on the door handles and whilst the lock button pops up, it doesn’t open the door. None of the windows can be opened either. Even after hitting the ignition button, you still cannot open anything. It appears the only means of escape is to try and kick a window out.

Please can you look into this as it appears to be an accident waiting to happen.

Response from BMW:

Thanks for your email about the locking system on your BMW M340i. I’m sorry to hear about this – I can understand how concerning this must be.

The best thing to do is have your car looked at by your local Approved BMW Centre. I can’t guarantee we’ll help with the repair costs, but I can promise we’ll look into this fully and fairly for you.

You can find your local BMW Centre here.

If there’s anything else I can help you with in the meantime, please get back in touch.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2024, 05:48 AM   #7
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

I thought that’s how all deadlock system work - it stops someone smashing your window and reaching in or jimmying the handle.

I’ve just tried it on mine - I can’t lock myself in when inside the car (even when key is placed in faraday bag) but I am locked in when car is locked from outside the car.

If people routinely remain the car, I would disable the auto-lock when walking away feature. It’s no different from having to disable the passenger airbag when fitting a baby seat.
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2024, 07:14 AM   #8
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
Two tugs on the door handle should open it, no? Same as with pretty much every other car on the market. Also, if she’s in the front, I think the unlock button still works in this situation.

If neither of these work then I agree, it’s stupid design, especially as the car has seat sensors in the front.
Thanks, I'll give those a try, but I think she would have pulled the handle more than once.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 07:16 AM   #9
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
The best thing to do is have your car looked at by your local Approved BMW Centre. I can’t guarantee we’ll help with the repair costs, but I can promise we’ll look into this fully and fairly for you.
Typical BMW response, ie completely fail to understand the point of your email.

Last edited by ZedsRedBaby; 01-03-2024 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 07:20 AM   #10
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaM View Post
I would disable the auto-lock when walking away feature.
Yeah I might well do that. The one time I did leave the key in the car while I fetched a parking ticket, I forgot all about it and we both merrily closed the doors and went off for lunch, leaving the car unlocked and the key in plain sight on top of the centre arm rest. Luckily it was still there when we came back two hours later.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 08:51 AM   #11
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.75]
I’ve gotten into the habit of putting my phone on the phone warmer, sorry wireless charger, and my key into the cup holder below it when I get in. I rarely have an instance where I’m leaving anyone in the car tbh, but just somehow became my routine.
Never forgot my key either when I’ve got out thanks to the warning reminder that my phone is on the heater, sorry charging tray, and then I take both.

I’ve read about the same concern over in the 5 series forums. Wondering whether the sunroof would still work from inside. I might try that. Others have suggested pressing the sos button should it come to that, or calling the key holder to use their bmw app to unlock remotely. I wouldn’t rely on those 2 options in any circumstance that was a life or death scenario though.

I’m in the Netherlands now. A lot of cars carry a shatter hammer for the glass which is attached to the centre console in the front passenger side at thigh level. My previous f36 and 4GC came with one already installed as they were leases. My g20 didn’t . I was told it was A safety requirement based on how many cars can end up in the water over here, but seems to make sense in general to carry one on board. Maybe get one for peace of mind
Appreciate 2
srbs73560.50
      01-04-2024, 03:22 PM   #12
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

If I ever leave anyone sitting in my car which is almost only ever my wife I just leave her the key (she's unlikely to bugger off with the car because she isn't that fond of driving it! ). However I don't have the automatic locking thingy activated on the car anyway so it shouldn't be a problem for me. I can understand others' concerns on here though in different circumstances to mine.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2024, 01:15 AM   #13
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
I just leave her the key
I would if I could ever remember. I'm obviously getting a bit absent minded in my old age.

I always remember when I hear the alarm going off though
Appreciate 1
bmnut842.50
      01-05-2024, 01:58 AM   #14
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsRedBaby View Post
I would if I could ever remember. I'm obviously getting a bit absent minded in my old age.

Do you use the digital key for your car? If so you could always just keep that in say your wallet and your wife could keep the key. Obviously not the other way round which would mean her keeping your wallet!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 11:30 AM   #15
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Do you use the digital key for your car? If so you could always just keep that in say your wallet and your wife could keep the key. Obviously not the other way round which would mean her keeping your wallet!
I've never bothered setting it up. OH has got the spare key but she usually leaves it at home so the car doesn't get confused about who's driving.

And she doesn't need my wallet to haemorrhage all our money - the horse does a perfectly good job of that
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 03:44 PM   #16
Tommo3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F31 318d

Quote:

Are you asking BMW to redesign the locking system to compensate for your lack of memory?
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 04:32 AM   #17
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinwong View Post
I’ve gotten into the habit of putting my phone on the phone warmer, sorry wireless charger, and my key into the cup holder below it when I get in. I rarely have an instance where I’m leaving anyone in the car tbh, but just somehow became my routine.
Never forgot my key either when I’ve got out thanks to the warning reminder that my phone is on the heater, sorry charging tray, and then I take both.

I’ve read about the same concern over in the 5 series forums. Wondering whether the sunroof would still work from inside. I might try that. Others have suggested pressing the sos button should it come to that, or calling the key holder to use their bmw app to unlock remotely. I wouldn’t rely on those 2 options in any circumstance that was a life or death scenario though.

I’m in the Netherlands now. A lot of cars carry a shatter hammer for the glass which is attached to the centre console in the front passenger side at thigh level. My previous f36 and 4GC came with one already installed as they were leases. My g20 didn’t . I was told it was A safety requirement based on how many cars can end up in the water over here, but seems to make sense in general to carry one on board. Maybe get one for peace of mind
The shatter hammer is a good idea. Especially now that we'll have two EV's it's not a bad shout. Looks like you can get some small ones that can just sit in the glove box.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 04:51 AM   #18
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by srbs73 View Post
The shatter hammer is a good idea. Especially now that we'll have two EV's it's not a bad shout. Looks like you can get some small ones that can just sit in the glove box.
Yeah they are pretty small. The one I have is called life hammer. Bit easier to use as it’s one where 2 pins pop out on contact with a surface with some force. Also comes with a mounting bracket so it doesn’t fly around
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 05:43 AM   #19
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommo3 View Post
Are you asking BMW to redesign the locking system to compensate for your lack of memory?
I can't remember.
Appreciate 3
Tommo355.00
vadimo312.50
      01-06-2024, 06:36 AM   #20
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've never bothered setting it up. OH has got the spare key but she usually leaves it at home so the car doesn't get confused about who's driving.

And she doesn't need my wallet to haemorrhage all our money - the horse does a perfectly good job of that
Tell me about it and mine doesn't actually own a horse but has full access to a friend's and that dobbin gets spoilt rotten then add to that a new pair of boots for her upcoming birthday and another four hundred quid gone!

I don't bother with the digital key either to be honest but my wife always keeps the spare key with her when we go away anywhere on holiday just as a back-up really. She keeps it in a 'Faraday pouch' and there is never any signal interference from that key.
Pouches from Amazon, not expensive and the ones I bought seem to be good quality and have never caused any problems.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2024, 07:34 PM   #21
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Quote:
Tell me about it and mine doesn't actually own a horse but has full access to a friend's and that dobbin gets spoilt rotten then add to that a new pair of boots for her upcoming birthday and another four hundred quid gone!

I don't bother with the digital key either to be honest but my wife always keeps the spare key with her when we go away anywhere on holiday just as a back-up really. She keeps it in a 'Faraday pouch' and there is never any signal interference from that key.
Pouches from Amazon, not expensive and the ones I bought seem to be good quality and have never caused any problems.
Or just take a small cardboard box and wrap the whole thing in a few layers of adhesive backed aluminuim tape, that will do the job just fine as well.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2024, 04:12 AM   #22
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I feel your pain brother.

Quote:
Thanks - I should have thought of this. The spare sits in a faraday pouch in the filing cabinet - just need to get OH to chuck it in her bag.

I knew someone would come up with something brilliant
Appreciate 1
bmnut842.50