BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK buying used

11-14-2023, 04:25 AM   #1
Davyogg
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 SERIES M Sport

Garage List
buying used

Would people expect there to be a spare key with a used 2020 3 series?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 04:33 AM   #2
djcowlin
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 330e

Definitely. They all come new with two keys - and a replacement would be pricey.
      11-14-2023, 05:33 AM   #3
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Yes, 100% would expect a spare key.

Assume you are not buying from a main dealer?
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2023, 05:38 AM   #4
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

For many it isn’t even a “spare” key - it’s a his and hers (or hers and hers or his and his, it’s 2023) thing. They wouldn’t sell the car with only one front seat…
Appreciate 2
bmnut842.50
      11-14-2023, 05:42 AM   #5
Davyogg
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 SERIES M Sport

Garage List
I’ve already purchased the car, on collection was told that the second key and V5 would follow…having chased for the last couple of weeks now being told there isn’t a second key and that I wouldn’t being getting one from them…
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 05:44 AM   #6
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

New keys were £150+ back in 2007 (as per https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...&f=72&t=362065) so I would ask your local main dealer for a quote and then ask for whoever sold it to you to pony up the cost given they said it came with two keys.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 06:40 AM   #7
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Agree with everything else said on here so far but would be going to your nearest BMW dealership as soon as you possibly can and get them to ‘stun’ the missing key so your car never recognises it again. Especially seeing as you cannot know for sure where or what has happened to that other key?
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2023, 06:59 AM   #8
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Agree with everything else said on here so far but would be going to your nearest BMW dealership as soon as you possibly can and get them to ‘stun’ the missing key so your car never recognises it again. Especially seeing as you cannot know for sure where or what has happened to that other key?
I never knew you could do that - good knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 08:22 AM   #9
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
I never knew you could do that - good knowledge.
The dealer can ‘read’ the keys for your car and remove the one from the allocated ones from factory build if you’ve lost it or had it stolen so the car no longer recognises it.
Whilst I’ve never had to replace a key yet (touch wood!) I’m sure when you order a new one it has to ‘initialised’ to the car and I’m also unsure whether you can do it or it has to be ‘coded’ by the dealership.
I know the ‘blanks’ for replacement keys aren’t kept in the country the car is registered in for security measures. Think our blanks for UK registered cars may be kept in Sweden?
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2023, 05:58 PM   #10
Martyn86
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw f31 335d xdrive

I’d personally be getting back in touch with the dealer, they have said previously that they would send the spare key on and are only now going back on that, leaving you potentially out of pocket for a replacement.

I would 100% have expected a second key in a vehicle if this age.

A new key plus coding I suspect would cost you over £300 -£350 from a dealer
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 01:22 AM   #11
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn86 View Post
I’d personally be getting back in touch with the dealer, they have said previously that they would send the spare key on and are only now going back on that, leaving you potentially out of pocket for a replacement.

I would 100% have expected a second key in a vehicle if this age.

A new key plus coding I suspect would cost you over £300 -£350 from a dealer
Absolutely this ^^^^^ The not insignificant cost of a replacement is motivation enough not withstanding my bigger concern personally would be where is the spare key and even more so, who might have it. Hence my previous comment about getting it ‘stunned’ by the dealer on the vehicle’s key list.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 10:18 AM   #12
Gobley
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Mppsk

By coincidence I had my M340i G21 stolen off my drive last January thieves broke in whilst we were asleep and found my key, roll on 4 months Herts Police contact me to ask for my permission to use symmetrics ? on my car, thing was it wasn’t mine anymore insurance had paid me out in full.
I’d sent the other key back to Aviva’s car salvage Copart dept, seems my old car was being used as a get away car for car theft in the Herts area similar break in to my own through patio door lock barrel.
Roll on another 4 months I’m contacted by Herts Police telling me my car is ready for collection from a salvage company no key. Again I tell the insurance company about car being found they collect and take to Copart Salvage in Sandy Beds.
I’m told car had been stripped whatever that means inside, outside seemed in good condition they said they didn’t have a key but I said you must have one key because I sent mine to you 4 months ago.
I guess a dealer would have to say it was stolen recovered Cat S, maybe it’s my old car who knows! if it is I would be very concerned the thieves still have the old key as I guess police had them under surveillance and thieves probably got wind of it and stopped using it so police took it back.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 12:58 PM   #13
Assassin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340d MHT xDrive

You don't mention whether it was a BMW dealer you bought the car from.......... I'm guessing not. I would be VERY suspicious of the car only having one key. (Remember your insurance may not pay out if it turns out a key was used to steal it as they may take the view you left the key in the car if your house wasn't broken into! )

Not just because you don't know where it is and your car may disappear if someone has it until you get it blocked BUT most cars that are sold through Copart / Synetiq etc auctions as insurance total losses only have one key. Its a dead giveaway when buying many second hand cars.

Some of those cars are not recorded CAT S or N but rather CAT X which means "not recorded" at DVLA as a write off. They may have been stolen recovered, water damaged (i.e. flooded), police seizures, expensive mechanical failures or a number of other reasons.

Individuals and garages buy these cars to fix and resell. There is really good money to be made by repairing relatively new, low mileage prestige marks cheaply with used parts etc and then selling them at market prices. They don't like to replace the keys as they cost hundreds which is lost profit to them.

Not sure what the best online history check is right now (Car Vertical??) but I'd be looking into it in detail. I'd even speak to the dealer and express concern about the history of the car due to one key .

Hopefully this won't apply to your car but I know guys that buy/repair/sell insurance losses as a hobby and even making the car history very clear to the buyers, they still make a fair bit on each car.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 11:58 AM   #14
DravitPlay
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Touring

Not only should you get a main dealer to disable the missing key, but new locks and a 3rd party Immobiliser (Autowatch or Pandora, etc) will do wonders for your nerves when parked. I’d also get the main dealer to give it a once over to be sure it wasn’t damaged previously.
Appreciate 0