Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Active Grille Doesn’t Close (Just two panels)

11-02-2023, 10:41 AM   #1
samg20
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 Msport

Post Active Grille Doesn’t Close (Just two panels)

Hi Guys,

So my active grille on the right side is closed for the most part - bar the furthest right two shutters.

Looking to learn if I can fix this at home, potentially will need a new grille cover which is fine (50 quid by the looks of ebay/bmw).

Does any one have any ideas as to what i can do to close them? Or if i need to to get a replacement (if so any ideas on how much this is likely to cost?)

Car is a G20 msport 69 plate.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2023, 04:26 PM   #2
Stooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

I can’t see that causing major cooling problems, are you having issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 10:31 AM   #3
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

My active grille was damaged after I had a minor front end bump in my car about a month ago.

The active grille was not impacted at all, but even the slow speed impact to the front bumper and kidney grille was enough to break several of the slats in the active grille.

I was actually supposed to get my car back a day earlier than I did, but when the bodyshop inspected my replacement active grille they discovered that it had been damaged in transit.

I met the Bodyshop manager when I picked up my car and he did say that the active gilles are made of a very britle plastic that's easliy damaged.

I'd think you may have to replace the active grille, but I have no idea how easy that would be to do yourself TBH. I believe the active grille costs around £260 Ex VAT for the part.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 08:46 AM   #4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I have been without 2 slots of the active grille for over a year now with no issues. I was quoted 3 to 400 to get it all replaced as they supposedly need to take the bumper off.
That was a while a go so I'd imagine you are looking at 4 to 500 now so sod that.
Appreciate 0